There's beauty in the habitual activity of everyday life, but within that routine we need to truly take time to rest & heal ourselves, physically & mentally.
The 60 minute Float Pod Session, also known as sensory deprivation Pod, offered here at La Bella Vita Wellness & Relaxation Center in Green Brook, NJ, is more than just a new age way to get some peace and quiet: There are a host of benefits for the body—the high levels of magnesium in the Epsom salt help ease muscle, joint and lower back pain, increase circulation and lower blood pressure—as well as allowing the mind to take a well needed vacation. "The main benefits many floaters receive are total relaxation of the mind, body and nervous system, enhanced creativity, idea production is often increased and problem-solving. It is also a great way to recover from jet lag & improve sleeping patterns.
When you arrive at La Bella Vita, you will be led to the spacious & tranquil room housing the pod and asked if you prefer to float with soft light & Music, Light only or as its intended to be in pure darkness & quiet. Next, you are brought to the welcoming float shower room & instructed to shower before getting in. Once cleaned, you slip into the pod and began your worthwhile journey. Robes, towels, earplugs & slippers are provided, please feel free to bring your own flip flops. Contacts must be removed, please bring your supplies. Do not shave prior to a float session . If you recently colored your hair, please wait a few days to float. You may float all natural or bring a bathing suit/trunks & some may wish to bring a swimmers cap.
Here, five reasons to give floating in the dark & silence a try.
1) It's an experience that is to some both new but yet familiar. None of us can remember what it's like to be in the womb, but one must imagine rocking in the warm water of the pod in silence (there's calming music should you choose to play it) is as close to being back there as it gets, floaters are incredibly soothed,
2) We could all use a break from all screens. Doing a hour of anything with complete disconnection from our TVs, laptops, cells & social media seems doable but one might find themselves counting down the minutes in their head at the beginning of a session. Once you start slipping deeper and deeper into relaxation, you'll become unaware of time. One hour of floating is said to be equivalent to 4 hours of REM sleep. Floating is a spiritual and mental detox. Before you know it, a kind voice or soothing light will be notifying you that it is time to exit. After you shower you are welcomed to enjoy a cup of hot tea allowing you to further unwind and bring yourself back to reality as slowly as you'd like.
3) You'll feel pain relief sometimes in areas you didn't even know you had pain in. It only takes a few minutes of floating for the neck, shoulders, legs and lower back—the areas where most of us experience the most tension regularly to become tight but by the end of the session, the tightness/pain is almost nonexistent for many. We recommend placing your arms over your head, to help open up your chest cavity & undo all the damage we do to our bodies while hunched over our PCs or staring down at our cells.
4) Your skin and hair will thank you. The salt works wonders on your skin and hair: There's no need for exfoliation you feel as if you've been loofahed but with no harshness. It's important to keep in mind that you should drink water, have a light snack beforehand and stay away from caffeine prior to floating.
5) You'll have the best sleep of your life afterward. Many enter a deep state of relaxation if not fall asleep altogether during their session. Many say they fell asleep easier, slept deeper and/or longer than previously and felt completely restored and rejuvenated the entire next day.